SHOL is primarily self-funded through monies from local government donations and grants. SHOL receives no ongoing state or federal funds. Currently SHOL is managed by a volunteer board of directors, however, there is a long term goal to generate enough funding to hire a small part time staff so as to grow the organization. Our immediate needs are three fold:
1. Funds to print and distribute newly developed promotional materials - $2,000.00
2. Develop and create additional interpretive/wayfinding signage for every community along the highway - $8,000.00
3. Begin a seed fund for larger projects to be used as a match for local, state, federal, and private grants - $10,000.00
SHOL could also use at least one more board member and several volunteers!
· Three guided auto tours around the scenic highway for up to four people. This half day tour includes transportation, lunch, and a professional guide. Several stops will be made to visit historic sites, shops, and natural areas. The guide will overview the unique world class geology of the SHOL along with history, flora, and fauna. Value: $500.00.
· Three guided nature hikes at key sites along the SHOL, by a local professional naturalist and guide. Learn about history, wildlife, ethnobotany, mushrooms, geology and more. Up to four participants on each three hour hike. Value: $400.00.